Drug Name: Lorabid
Lorabid may cause the improper absorption of some B vitamins, folic acid and vitamin K. Long term use of the antibiotic may reduce levels of these vitamins. Discuss supplementation with your physician or pharmacist.
- Anonymous. New examples of vitamin K-drug interaction. Nutr Rev 1984;42(4):161-63 [review].
- Hill MJ: Intestinal flora and endogenous vitamin synthesis, Eur J Cancer Prev, 1997, 6 (Suppl 1): S43-5.
- Deguchi Y, et al: Comparitive studies on synthesis of water-soluble vitamins among human species of Bifidobacteria, Argic Biol Chem, 1985, 19 (1): 13-19.
- Conly J and Stein K: Reduction of vitamin K2 concentrations in human liver associated with the use of broad spectrum antimicrobials, Clin Invest Med, 1994, 17 (6):531-9.
- Ellenger P, et al: Production and release of nicotinamide by the intestinal flora in man, Nature, 1944, 154:270-271.
Antibiotics kill bacteria, including beneficial flora in the gut, which could affect digestion and/or elimination. Supplementation with acidophilus or bifidus may aid in restoring this beneficial flora.
- Bengmark S & Gianotti L: Nutritional support to prevent and treat multiple organ failure. World J Surg, 1996 May, 20:4, 474-81.
- Cummings JH, Macfarlane G: Role of intestinal bacteria in nutrient metabolism, JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr, 1997, 21(6): 357-65.
- Gorbach SL: Bengt E. Gustafsson Memorial Lecture, Function of the Normal Human Microflora, Scand J Infect Dis Suppl, 1986, 49:17-30.
Take with food or milk to decrease stomach irritation.
- Facts and Comparisons, Clinisphere 2.0, Wolters Kluwer Company, 1999
- Pronsky, Z Food Medication Interactions, 11th edition, 1999
- Product Categories
- Detox & Immunity
- Digestive Health
- Joint Health
- Weight Loss
- Popular Products
- CellRenew Collagen Hyaluronic Acid
- Foundation Blue-Green Algae
- Dream Health System
- Liver Cleanse
- Reference Materials
- Product Testimonials
- Health Journal Archive
- Health Briefs
- Health Basics
- Frequent Product Q&A's
- Med-Scope (health database)
- Health Conditions
- Natural Solutions
- Alternative Therapies
- Toxicity Sources
- Foods Advice
- Anatomy & Fitness