Drug Name: Prevacid
This medication may affect the proper absorption of beta carotene, iron and vitamin B12. Consult with your pharmacist about supplementation.
- Pronsky, ZM: Food-Medication Interactions, 11th edition, 1999
- Graedon J, Graedon T: The People’s Guide to Deadly Drug Interactions, 1995, p. 94.
- Koop H, Bachem MG. Serum iron, ferritin, and vitamin B12 during prolonged omeprazole therapy. J Clin Gastroenterol 1992;14:288-92.
- Schenk BE, Festen HP, Kuipers EJ, et al. Effect of short-and long-term treatment with omeprazole on the absorption and serum levels of cobalamin. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1996;10:541-45.
- Bellou A, Aimone-Gastin I, De Korwin JD, et al: Colbalamin deficiency with megaloblastic anemia in one s under long-term omeprazole therapy, J Intern Med, 1996, 240(3): 161-4.
- Saltzman JR, Kemp JA, Golner BB, et al: Effect of hypochlorhydria due to omeprazole treatment or atrophic gastritis on protein-bound vitamin B12 absorption, J Am Coll Nutr, 1994, 13 (6):584-91.
- Tang G, Serfaty-Lacronsniere C, Camilo ME, Russell RM. Gastric acidity influences the blood response to a beta-carotene dose in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 1996;64:622-26.
Alcohol intake should be limited.
- Facts and Comparisons, Clinisphere 2.0, Wolters Kluwer Company, 2000
- Pronsky, Z Food Medication Interactions, 11th edition, 1999
Beta-carotene - eat dark green and orange-yellow vegetables and supplement 25,000 IU of beta-carotene per day to replenish this nutrient in the body.
- Tang G, Serfaty-Lacronsniere C, Camilo ME, Russell RM. Gastric acidity influences the blood response to a beta-carotene dose in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 1996;64:622-6.
Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid - Take 1,000 mcg of vitamin B12 and 400 mcg of Folate daily to avoid nutrient depletion caused by the drug’s ability to inhibit absorption. Nutrient depletion can lead to high homocysteine blood levels and anemia.
- Russell RM, Golner BB, Krasinski SD, et al. Effect of antacid and H2 receptor antagonists on the intestinal absorption of folic acid. J Lab Clin Med 1988;112:458-63.
- Saltzman JR, Kemp JA, Golner BB, et al. Effect of hypochlorhydria due to omeprazole treatment or atrophic gastritis on protein-bound vitamin B12 absorption. J Am Coll Nutr 1994;13:584-9
Cranberry Juice may prevent vitamin B12 deficiency by aiding the absorption of vitamin B12 being received from foods high in this nutrient.
- Saltzman JR, Kemp JA, Golner BB, et al. Effect of hypochlorhydria due to omeprazole treatment or atrophic gastritis on protein-bound vitamin B12 absorption. J Am Coll Nutr 1994;13:584-91
Prevacid may interact with St. John's Wort to increase the risk of photosensitivity.
- Mirossay A, Mirossay L, Tothova, et al. Potentiation o hypericin an dhypocrellin-induced phototoxicity by omeprazole. Phytomedicine 6(5): 311 - 317, 1999.
- Seigers Cp, et al. Phototoxicity caused by hypericum. Nervehielkunde 12: 320 - 322, 1993.
- Product Categories
- Amino Acids & Muscle Health
- Arthritis Care
- Brain/Mood Health
- Daily Health
- Detox & Immunity
- Digestive Health
- Energy & Stamina
- Eye Health
- Fatty Acids
- Heart Health
- Hormonal Health
- Joint & Bone Health
- Men's Testosterone
- Skin, Hair & Nails
- Oahu Lou's Sun-Wise
- Sleep Support
- Vitamins & Minerals
- Weight Loss
- Popular Products
- CellRenew Collagen Hyaluronic Acid
- Foundation Blue-Green Algae
- Dream Health System
- Go Heads Up
- Liver Cleanse
- Reference Materials
- Product Testimonials
- Recent Health Journals
- Health Journal Archive
- Health Briefs
- Health Basics
- Frequent Product Q&A's
- Excellent Question
- Med-Scope (health database)
- Health Conditions
- Natural Solutions
- Alternative Therapies
- Toxicity Sources
- Foods Advice
- Anatomy & Fitness
...how to naturally boost testosterone with High T. You are worth it... and so is she.
Like a pebble tossed in a pond, when melanoma touches Life, it can't help but effect those around it.
Applied Health Journal
'Honoring Independence Day'
Applied Health Journal is
a registered publication in
the Library of Congress,