Drug Name: Risperdal
Alcohol may enhance the sedative effects of Risperdal and should be avoided.
- Pronsky, ZM: Food-Medication Interactions, 11th edition, 1999.
The oral solution should not be mixed with cola or tea.
- Facts and Comparisons, Clinisphere 2.0, Wolters Kluwer Company, 2000
Vitamin B6 & Vitamin E may help to reduce side effects associated with taking Risperdal.
Licorice Root (Glycyrrhiza radix) & White Peony Root (Paeoniae radix) may help prevent amenorrhea (lack of menstruation) that may be associated with Risperdal treatment.
- Yamada K, Kanba S, Yagi G, Asai M. Herbal medicine (shakuyaku-kanzo-to) in the treatment of risperidone-induced amenorrhea. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1999;19:380-1.
Glycine may support the effectiveness of Risperdal, as individuals with schizophrenia found their symptoms lessened when glycine was added to their treatment of Risperdal.
- Heresco-Levy U, Ermilov M, Lichtenberg P, et al. High-dose glycine added to olanzapine and risperidone for the treatment of schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry 2004;55:165-71.
Lithium using lithium with Risperdal has created side effects such as fever, confusion and delirium. Lithium may be present in medications or mineral supplements.
- Chen B, Cardasis W. Delirium induced by lithium and risperidone combination. Am J Psychiatry 1996;153:1233-4.
- Swanson CL Jr., Price WA, McEvoy JP. Effects of concomitant risperidone and lithium treatment (letter). Am J Psychiatry 1995;152:1096.
The sedative effects of these herbs may increase CNS side effects of risperdal: calamus, calendula, chamomile, California poppy, catnip, couch grass, elecampane, ginseng Siberian, goldenseal, gotu kola, hops, Jamaican dogwood, kava, lemon balm, sage, St. John's wort, sassafras, scullcap, shepherd's purse, stinging nettle, valerian, withania root, and yerba mansa.
- Brinker, F Herb Contraindications and Drug Interactions, Eclectic Medical Publications, 1998
- Newall CA, Anderson LA, Phillipson JD. Herbal Medicines: A Guide for Health-care Professionals. London: The Pharmaceutical Press, 1996
- PDR for Herbal Medicines, 2nd edition, Medical Economics Company, 2000
- Product Categories
- Detox & Immunity
- Digestive Health
- Joint Health
- Weight Loss
- Popular Products
- CellRenew Collagen Hyaluronic Acid
- Foundation Blue-Green Algae
- Dream Health System
- Liver Cleanse
- Reference Materials
- Product Testimonials
- Health Journal Archive
- Health Briefs
- Health Basics
- Frequent Product Q&A's
- Med-Scope (health database)
- Health Conditions
- Natural Solutions
- Alternative Therapies
- Toxicity Sources
- Foods Advice
- Anatomy & Fitness