Drug Name: Videx
Riboflavin may be helpful in preventing lactic acidosis that occurs with NNRTI class antiviral drugs like Videx.
- Fouty B, Frerman F, Reves R. Riboflavin to treat nucleoside analogue-induced lactic acidosis. Lancet 1998;352(9124):291-2.
A high-fat breakfast, seems to cause a 50% decrease in peak plasma concentration , compared to taking the drug following a fast. The medication is best taken on an empty stomach.
- Facts and Comparisons, Clinisphere 2.0, Wolters Kluwer Company, 2000
Astragalus may interact with antiviral medications. Consult a physician or pharmacist before combining these two products.
- Upton R (ed). Astragalus Root: analytical, quality control, and therapeutic monograph. Santa Cruz, CA: American Herbal Pharmacopoeia; 1999;1-25
- Facts and Comparisons, The Review of Natural Products, Clinisphere 2.0, Wolters Kluwer Company, 2000
These herbs show antiviral properties according to the German Commission E: Cloves, Cardamom seed, White oak bark, Sage leaf, using them with Videx may interfere with the drug or increase side effects.
- Blumenthal, M (Ed.): The Complete German Commission E Monographs: Therapeutic Guide to Herbal Medicines. American Botanical Council. Austin, TX. 1998.
St. John’s Wort may decrease the effects of some types of HIV drugs, primarily the NRTI drugs , but others may also be affected. Do not use this herb without consulting a physician first.
- Piscitelli SC, Burstein AH, Chaitt D, et al. Indinavir concentrations and St. John's wort. Lancet 2000;355(9203):547-548
Acetyl-L-Carnitine - People with peripheral neuropathy who were taking didanosine were found to be deficient in acetyl-L-carnitine.
- Famularo G, Moretti S, Marcellini S, et al. Acetyl-carnitine deficiency in AIDS patients with neurotoxicity on treatment with antiretroviral nucleoside analogues. AIDS 1997;11:185—90.
Some researchers have suggested that supplementing acetyl-L-carnitine may assist in managing neuropathy that accompanies this condition.2
- Moyle GJ, Sadler M. Peripheral neuropathy with nucleoside antiretrovirals: risk factors, incidence and management. Drug Saf 1998;19:481—94 [Review].
- Product Categories
- Detox & Immunity
- Digestive Health
- Joint Health
- Weight Loss
- Popular Products
- CellRenew Collagen Hyaluronic Acid
- Foundation Blue-Green Algae
- Dream Health System
- Liver Cleanse
- Reference Materials
- Product Testimonials
- Health Journal Archive
- Health Briefs
- Health Basics
- Frequent Product Q&A's
- Med-Scope (health database)
- Health Conditions
- Natural Solutions
- Alternative Therapies
- Toxicity Sources
- Foods Advice
- Anatomy & Fitness